Friday, February 19, 2010

Ecotopia... Random Bicycle Crap Fridays

I recently started reading the classic environmental polemic Ecotopia written by Ernest Callenbach. Its got a lot of amazing ideas and innovative design techniques for urban centers. I'll get into those in longer posts later, but for now I'll just give a teaser related to bicycles.

"Ecotopians setting out to go more than a block or two usually pick up one of the sturdy white-painted bicycles that lie about the streets by the hundreds and are available free to all. Dispersed by the movements of citizens during the day and evening..."

1 comment:

Mark Kirschner said...

Of all the books I had to read in University, this is the only one I have come back to re-read. I wasn't too keen on the book when I had to read it my first quarter, freshman year. But 12 years later, I picked it up again, and it meant more to me at that point. I read it again last spring (nearly 20 years after the first reading) and I find I like it, and the ideals that Callenbach espouses, even more. What will I think if I read it again in 5, 10, 15 years???

Bookmark and Share